Monday, April 23, 2007

Haha! Project Go-Ahead!

I've decided to go ahead with a project that will probably end up never being used. Still, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Prepare for a longer-than-normal entry!

So, here's the idea: a workbook that looks and reads like a magazine. In 7th grade, our kids write every time they read (at least at school). Usually, I put a prompt on the board, they whine a little, then they write the minimum and throw the notebooks on the counter. I would, too. Journals can be really boring.
But this one is better (I hope). The idea is that the whole journal looks like a magazine (only the words are missing). Instead of surveys about kissing, you get surveys about characters. Instead of ads for makeup, ads for books. Instead of articles of fashion advice from stars, articles of fashion advice from characters.
And it's all SOl-based (SOLs are the VA standards for education)
Conflict? "Uncovered Scandal"
Characterization? "Round or Flat: Our Experts Reveal All!"

I know I'm a dork. But, hey, Photoshop is fun! :)
Plus, how cool would it be to be 12 and writing "magazine articles" instead of journal entries?
Heck, how cool would it be at 24?

No comments: